American Symbols: Ellis Island #17
Terri Degezelle
Degezelle, Terri. (2004). American symbols: ellis island. Minnesota: Capstone.
Grade Level: Prek-2
Awards: I was not able to find any awards.
Genre: Informational
Content Area: Social Studies
Author’s Credibility: The author visited the Ellis Island Museum.
Summary: In very simple terms, Degezelle explains how the United States acquired the island. Ellis Island became known as the “stopping off” place for immigrants coming into the United States.
Standards: Identify state and national symbols (History, Civics, Geography, Economics)
Access Features: Contents, map, timeline, hands-on activity, words to know, facts about Ellis Island, further readings, index, and Internet sites.
Illustrations: Modern and archival photographs, maps, and illustrations.
Text Structure: Descriptive
Use in Classroom: I would use with my study on American Symbols
Response: I am glad that I picked up this book. I have never thought of Ellis Island as belonging to anyone except the United States. It was named Samuel Ellis and it belonged to his family from 1770-1808. The United States bought the island from the Ellis' family in 1808.
Further Readings:
Ellis Island, Cynthia Klingel
Ellis Island: We the People, Lucia Roatman
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment