Monday, July 23, 2007

George Washington’s Teeth #22
Deborah Chandra & Madeline Comora
Brock Cole, Illustrator

Chandra, D. & Comora, M. (2003). George Washington’s teeth. New York: Farrar Straus
Giroux.

Awards: Parent's Choice; Creative Collaboration in Nonfiction

Grade Level: 1-3

Genre: Narrative

Standards: Social studies: Explains the importance of Americans sharing history of certain values, principles, and belief of historical figures (History Economies)

Science: Health

Content Area: Social Studies; Science

Access Features: Time line of events in George Washington’s life; Time line sources, and acknowledgments

Author’s Credibility: The authors wish to acknowledge the following for their help: Mount Vernon Ladies Association, Mount Vernon National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian, The Papers of George Washington Project, and the University of Virginia.

Illustrations: Photographs, oil on canvas, pastel on paper, and oil on panel

Summary: George Washington had a problem with his teeth most of his life. By age twenty-two, he had lost two and almost every year after that he would lose a tooth. He eventually lost all his teeth and the dentist had to make him a set of false teeth.

Tone: Narrative

Voice: Poetic, rhyming

Text Structure: Problem/Solution

Response: This was such a funny book! I enjoyed it. I did not know that George had problems with his teeth. This is the first time I heard of it. I would use this book with my class when we honor George Washington on President’s Day. They would love this book because they could relate to teeth because of their teeth.

No comments: