In Voices of Poetry: Maya Angelou #14
Patricia Kirkpatrick
Kirkpatrick, Patrick. (2004). In voices of poetry: Maya angelou. Mankato: Creative Education.
Grade Level: 4-8
Awards: McKnight Loft Award in Poetry; Boston Globe-Horn Book Award; Minnesota Book Award Nominee
Standards: Social Studies: History (recognize varieties of family life and cultures; describe diversity in the U. S. and identify its benefits)
Author’s Credibility: Kirkpatrick has published several books for young readers. She has won several awards. In the acknowledgments, she gives credit to all the organizations that helped her for using the photographs and poetry selections in the book.
Summary: This is a biography of the African American poet Maya Angelou. It begins chronologically with her birth in Stamps, Arkansas and covers her Broadway debut, her poem for the President’s Inauguration, and her settling down in North Caroline. She was born Marguerite Johnson, but changed her name after she married Tosh Angelous. The marriage does not work, so she keeps part of his name as her career name. Despite three failed marries, racial barriers, and raped; Maya has achieved many awards including the Pulitzer Prize and the respect of the world.
Illustrations: Illustrations and photographs are used in the book. John Thompson has won several gold and silver awards from the Society of Illustrators. He was also honored with a one-man show at the Museum of American Illustration in New York. He was a 2000 Coretta Scott King Award Finalist for his work in Creative Edition’s Freedom Like Sunlight, a collection of poetry celebrating the achievements of notable black Americans.
Access Features: Headings, acknowledgments, selected works by Maya Angelou, and index
Tone: Conversational
Response: I like reading about Maya. She makes the simplest “stuff” seem so profound. I was surprise when I saw some of the same illustrations and photographs in this book that I had also seen in Christmas in the Big House, Christmas in the Quarters (McKissacks). Then, I realized that John Thompson illustrated both books. I can use this book with my poetry unit and with Black History unit. I can talk about the contributions that famous black women have made to society.
Suggested Books: Life Doesn’t Frighten Me; My Painted House, My Friendly Chicken, and Me; Kofi and His Magic (all by Maya Angelou)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment