Sunday, July 22, 2007

Let’s Talk about Racism #19
Bruce Sanders

Sanders, Bruce. (2006). Let’s talk about racism. Mankato: Stargazer.

Awards: I was not able to find any awards.

Genre: Informational

Grade Level: 2-5

Content Area: Social Studies

Standards: Social Studies: Discover the relationship among people, places, and environments (history, civics, geography, economics)

Author’s Credibility: The author acknowledges the credit of Johnson Space Centre/NASA, Digital Vision, Marie-Helene Bradley, and Brand X Pictures, but there was not anything about him.

Summary: The author gives some important reasons why racism and prejudices occur in the world. He and the students would talk about and discuss the issue. In sidebars, there would be some real-life accounts from students on how they were affected by racism. The book also offers some suggestions on how students can handle racism through positive reinforcements.

Access Features: Contents, index, related books, contact information, sidebars, and photo credits.

Illustrations: Photographs have been reproduced from models or photographic agencies.

Tone: Partisan

Response: I see the need for such a book in my classroom. Students can be so cruel to each other. They seem to find whatever weakness another person may have and tease them about it. Since my school district is predominately black, I am not bother with the race issue, but some many other stereotype issues. I would use this book to discuss how racism and prejudices can hurt and harm children. I can also talk how and why we are different and that makes us special and interesting.

Related Books:
How Do I Feel about Dealing with Racism? Jen Green
Let’s Talk about Bullying, Bruce Sanders

1 comment:

Tassie said...

This sounds like such a powerful book. I think this would be a good book to read and discuss!