Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Mission: Addition #36
Loreen Leedy

Leedy, Loreen. (1997). Mission: Addition. New York: Scholistic.

Grade Level: 2-6

Content Area: Math

Author’s Credibility:

Access Features: Contents, chapters, answer page.

Summary: Mrs. Prime teachers her animal students how to solve addition problems by letting them become detective. She used a survey of the students’ pets. The students used addition to find out the total of animals. Mrs. Prime let them create their own word problems.

Standards: Math (addition facts, word problems, and vocabulary)

Response: I know the students will enjoy this book. It was presented in a comic strip format with animals pretending to be students. But, I thought that it was too busy for me. It had too much on a page—illustrations, format, animals. I would use it as read aloud. Then place it at the center.

Tone: Conversational

Other Books:

Domino Addition, Lynette Long
One Hundred Hungry Ants, Elinor J. Princzes

No comments: