The Mississippi Burning Trial: A Primary Source Account #27
Bill Scheppler
Scheppler, Bill. (2004). The mississippi burning trial: A primary source account.
New York: Rosen Publishing.
Grade Level: 4-8
Awards:
Content Area: Social Studies
Standards: Acquire the characteristics to be a responsible citizen (voting process)
History, Civics, Economics
Author Credibility: Scheppler used actual photographs and documents to do his research.
Summary: This book talked about the continuous struggle for equal rights for African Americans. Three strangers on the same mission were murdered in cold blood for what they believed in.
Illustrations: The illustrations were actual photographs from the court case. They also included other important people during that time period. All were in black and white except the ones with the plaque dedicated to those brave men.
Access Features: There are various maps that go along with the text as it is written. There is a diagram of the interior of the Neshoba County Jail that aids in the understanding of how they were treated.
Text Structure: Descriptive
Tone: Partisan
Response: I was very interested in this book after hearing about it. I never really knew the full story behind what happened and why. I just knew three civil rights activists were killed in Mississippi. It just goes to show you how hard it was for all people. I only became interested after reading the story about Emmett Till. It made me want to learn more about my history as an African American.
Related Text: Getting Away With Murder by Chris
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment