Great Black Heroes: Five Brilliant Scientists #31
Lynda Jones
Ron Garnett, Illustrator
Jones, Lynda. (2002). Great black heroes: Five brilliant scientists. New York:
Scholastic.
Awards: I was not able to find any awards.
Grade Level: 2-3
Standards: Life and Physical Science (Botany, Medicine, Marine Biology, and Chemistry)
Author’s Credibility: Jones acknowledgments Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, NYPL, Long Island Historical Society, and many others that provided their services.
Summary: A short biography of five African Americans who did not quit in spite of their obstacles. The book describes their early lives and their notable achievements made by these five black scientists: Susan McKinney Stewart (MD), George Washington Carver (Agricultural), Ernest Everett Just (Marine), Percy Lavon Julian (Chemist, glaucoma), and Shirley Ann Jackson (Nuclear Physicist).
Access Features: A note to the parents that provide strategies for before, during, and after reading.
Illustrations: Photographs, oil on canvas, and paintings.
Genre: Biography
Text: Chronological
Use: I would this in an independent center because the text is short and simple enough for independent reading.
Response: You can relate to diseases or other situations when you know about them. You hear about events or situations all the time, but you don’t react to them. When I read that Percy Julian discovered glaucoma, it was like I know him because now I can associate glaucoma with him. I hear that word all the time when I go for eye examinations.
Related Books:
Five Brave Explorers and Five Notable Inventors, Lynda Jones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment